Bolivia, with its 11 million people, remains the poorest country in South America.
Although there have been some improvements in the vital areas of health, education, and safety...the statistics about Bolivia’s poverty and its crippling effect upon her people are sobering:
- 43% live below the national poverty line
- 36% live in “extreme poverty” (an income of less than $2/day)
- 75% of children suffer abuse within their home (physical, sexual, or emotional)
- 80% of children experience violent discipline within their home
- 50% lack access to adequate healthcare,
- 60% lack any type of insurance (public or private)
- 60 % lack access to drinking water and sewage
- 50% of female teens within a relationship experience violence
- 26% of children (between the ages of 5- 14) work. (Child labor is legal)
- 30,000 children live and work in the streets of La Paz, Bolivia (the capital)
- 56% of the population completes secondary school
began its outreach to the impoverished population in La Paz, Bolivia in 2011. We are one in heart with the La Paz Church of Christ, loving and serving the poor with God’s love and compassion. We have developed strong relationships with other respected Non Government Organizations (NGO’s) to serve within a variety of programs that support poor and vulnerable families and children in the areas of health, safety, education, and mentoring.
We have created a Play Support Program within Hospital Arco Iris, distributing life-changing Early Childhood Development information, as well as a Lending Library for at risk children. We create regularly scheduled educational, recreational, and mentoring activities within orphanages, poor community centers and preschools, teen mom homes, and within an institute for mentally and physically disabled children. We support some of the poorest families within La Paz with their medical needs, home renovations, and most importantly with our faithful, loving relationships.
As a HYC Bolivia participant, you will be serving within all of these areas, loving and encouraging hundreds of children and families living in extreme poverty. You will also help repair family homes and a children’s refuge center. And of course, you will build many forever relationships within the amazing La Paz Church! Everyone is excited to welcome you and love you!
Most importantly, you will be able to walk like Jesus every day...bringing God’s love, hope, and healing to the poor and hurting. You will be able to live an Isaiah 61:1-3 life.
There is no greater honor.